Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pomp And Splendour

A Taste Of History (Right Here On Our Streets)

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It’s not often I get to photograph a door that is actually in rapid motion!

I was walking across Princes Bridge, looking across the river, just to ensure I wasn’t missing any great sights, when I heard the familiar rumble of an approaching tram. Normally I wouldn’t have given any form of public transport a second glance, but the unusually dark colour caught my eye.

I immediately realised it was a tram that was specially painted to advertise the Pompeii exhibition that has been extremely popular here in Melbourne for the past few months.

Taking a shot, you might think, was no big deal. But there was traffic on both sides, there were cyclists, there were skateboarders, there were pedestrians. And it seemed as if they had all descended on the scene at precisely the time I wanted to photograph the tram for The Doors meme.

For earlier posts in this series, check out The Doors Archive.

13 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

And leave it to the Professional to get the shot! A great shot it is, too...I'd love to be riding that tram!
Sandi

spacedlaw said...

They ALWAYS do that.

Nessa said...

It looks like a collage of colors.

Rosaria Williams said...

I saw that exhibition in Los Angeles years ago; it blows my mind. Even the real Pompeii doesn't provide all those historical artifacts neatly organized and showcased. To think the world was so complex two-thousand years ago!

Love your pictures!

Daryl said...

But you did it .. caught it in the clear .. well done!

Anonymous said...

Doors, great theme and the answer to 'when is graffiti art?'

Hope the dust storm doesn't come near you.

Maggie May said...

Well if you can't do it, David, then nobody could!
Glad it worked out so well. People will get in the way & cause a nuisance!

Mimi said...

I think I'd have given up before I began, but I'm glad you didn't. Another superb shot, David.And a clever way of advertising the show.

Joanna Jenkins said...

The colors are what caught my attention on my blog roll. Great shot!

Ladybird World Mother said...

Ooh. On first glance it looks like a building. Fun! Well done on getting it...

Shadow said...

great shot! nice train too...

Unknown said...

Great shot David, and some great marketing on the exhibition's part.

Virginia said...

Oh we had the Pompeii exhibit here at our museuem a few years ago. Waht a great Metro!!!
V