Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Sunday Roast

Over The Hill? Never Say That About Sylvia ...

This week's interview is with Sylvia K,
who writes the blog Sylvia From Over the Hill.




Here's the first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

Two years ago my son in Seattle decided I needed a keeper -- well, not really, but he travels a great deal, has a dog, is not married and the economy was headed downhill and he felt we could both benefit from my moving to Seattle and into his house. He provided a lovely space for me, but it was a difficult change for someone who had always been outrageously independent.

That first year was very difficult for me and when I visited a friend in Portland, Oregon, she gave me an article about blogging and suggested it would be a way for me to, not only occupy me, but would give me a reason to go back to writing -- something I had done for much of my life.

I played with it at first, but very quickly got deeply involved in not only writing again, but taking up photography -- something I'd never done before. Blogging has brought so much pleasure into my life, so many wonderful people and opportunities, that I can no longer imagine not doing it.

What's the story behind your blog name?

One of the first things that people seem to refer to as they complain about aging is that you're "over the hill" and it always had a negative conotation. But it seemed to me that the further over the hill I got, the more things seemed to make sense to me, the more beauty I was able to see, the more joy I discovered.

My original blog was "The View from Over the Hill", but between computer and Google problems, I lost access to the blog and had to start over. I didn't want to change the original message so I just rearranged the words to, "Sylvia From Over the Hill".

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

The best thing about being a blogger is the many wonderful people you meet, make contact with, the chance to exchange ideas. It also gives you the opportunity to join with others in the various memes and those have been one of the most fun things of all for me. It is those memes that got me to experimenting with photography and while I still have soooo much to learn, it has given me an opportunity to express myself in ways other than just writing.

And the friends I have made, the feelings of love and friendship with and for people that I would never have met without blogging has made it one of the best things I have ever done.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

Don't be afraid to try new things. Don't be afraid to express yourself. Look for those memes that tweak your interest and get involved. Visit other people's blogs, read what they have to say, leave comments. These things lead people to your blog and the interchange begins and once it does, the fun never stops -- nor does the learning and the wonderful experiences that come with the interaction.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

Now, that is a difficult one because I have read so many that spoke to me, that offered me a new way to look at something, that informed me about other countries, cultures, people. Some just offer incredible beauty through photography. But I guess one of the first blogs that I read early on that made a deep impression on me was Octogenarian. His blog is still one of my favorites, he always has something meaningful, educational, wise and historical to say. I can't give the name of just one post because they have all been so significant to me.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Another hard question! But I think perhaps when I began posting a series of mine called, "Looking Back", just as a way looking at my own life over the years, the one post that I feel was most significant was entitled "Looking Back - A Personal Look at Color", which told the story of my marriage to an African American, in the 1960s, in Texas -- where inter-racial marriage was still against the law.


Today's Sunday Roast with Sylvia is the 83rd in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

13 comments:

♥ Braja said...

I love Sylvia's posts, especially the carefully chosen and perfectly complementary quotes...she's a keeper our Sylv :)

Kay said...

oh, yeah! we love Sylvia! :)

Merisi said...

Thank you, Sylvia (and David, too),
for sharing more of you and your blog with us!
I loved every visit to your site and I shall be back there again soon. Happy Sunday!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Thank you David, Sylvia's blog is one of my top faves, I read her almost everyday. Great interview. I will have to go back and read her post about her interracial marriage, she must have written that one before I discovered her.

Saz said...

Lovely to meet you Sylvia..I shall visit you again very soon, great Roasting!!

Maggie May said...

I haven't met Sylvia before (to my knowledge anyway) but I will pop over to see her soon, being *over the hill* myself! Like the sound of her & though it was a very good interview.

Bee said...

Sylvia sounds so intriguing. She certainly proves my belief that blogging can really open up your world.

Eddie Bluelights said...

I have not yet met Sylvia but intend visiting her blog now.

Since I enjoyed my roasting so much last week I intend visiting all your 'victims'every week - a great way of getting to know people.
Thank you David and Sylvia for a very interesting Roast ~ Eddie

Sylvia K said...

Thank you, David, it was an honor being "roasted" by you! I've been a fan of yours, as you know, for quite some time, so this is much appreciated!

And thanks to all of you for the lovely things you have written here and on my blog today. I was gone all day and just returned, so I'm a little late with the "thank you's" and I apologize for that! Much love to you all!

Sylvia

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Sylvia is a great blogger! I visit frequently and it's nice to read about her interests and her reasons for blogging!

Great roast David and congratulations Sylvia on being on the menu!

Lew said...

Sylvia is well deserving of inclusion in your roasts! Her images and writing are inspiring. And she is showing us the beauty to be found on the other side of the hill.

Shrinky said...

Sylvia is new to me, thank you for introducing her David, another greast interview - I must pop over to say hi.

Carletta said...

Thank you David!
I love Sylvia's blog and her photos and this was a nice little glance into the person behind the name.