Sunday, September 13, 2009

Eye Eye, Sir

This Was The Mane Event

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I've shot elephants at close quarters before, during a 1998 trip to Bali, Indonesia - but I've never used a camera in close proximity to horses until recently.

A couple of weeks ago, I was shooting images of a couple of horses in a Melbourne paddock near Churchill National Park, gradually working my way closer since they were not familiar with me.

The thing I was really worried about was that, if I got too close, the sound of the camera might scare them. But it’s hard work trying to shoot close-ups of horses, especially as these two were restless because of the presence of a stranger.

Most of the images I shot were side-on, but this horse suddenly gave me a full-frontal view for a couple of seconds. Grateful for the unusual viewpoint, I composed the shot as quickly as I could, looking down onto the bulge of both eyeballs.

Check out the rules at Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

17 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Horses are the most amazing animals. Your photo is brilliant. Have a great weekend.

Boozy Tooth said...

Horses do get spooky, but usually only when there is a reason. Plastic grocery bags skipping along the grass have been known to throw many a horse into a panic, but a camera? Not usually. We owned a wonderful horse whose eyes were so filled with expression. Love your photo... it reminds me of our Remmy.

Rhea said...

Fun photo! Very close up. I love horses...and they always have amazing eye lashes!!

I have a horse photo or two up today also. I happened upon a horse upsidedown!!

Johnnny said...

A friend of mine his name was Tony
He had a tail when he was a pony
Now he's grown up, of course
He got a job working as a horse.

Unknown said...

look at the gentleness and love and trust in the eyes. great catch!!

Maggie May said...

He looks as though he's eyeing you up too!
Great photo. I like his colouring too.

Saz said...

May I nominate Suburbia for her last three posts, three parts f the 'story'beautifully written

http://momentsfromsuburbia.blogspot.com/

Teena in Toronto said...

Great shot!

I played too :)

Fragrant Liar said...

The eyes have it!

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

So cute!
David, please check out September 12th at Come Sit By My Fire.You won't regret it...promise.

Sande said...

Had me for a minute. I thought you really shot elephants ...:/

Sande said...

Had me for a minute. I thought you really shot elephants ...:/

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

David, another amazing , uplifting post at keys2goodliving.blogspot.com
Responses To A Cut Flower Society

The Victorian Parlor said...

Beautiful! I love horses and this photo is truly amazing:).

Blessings,

Kim

Gemma Wiseman said...

He may have given you a moment with those eyes but you walked away with a memory to last a lifetime! Great shot!

Manz said...

I'd loose in a staring match with that fella!

Southern Lady said...

That's an incredible shot, David. I love capturing cows' faces up close. They have such expressive faces when you take time to really look at them.