Sunday, March 18, 2007

Guinness Tout

Pakistan Reduced To Blarney Rubble


At long odds of 250-1 to win the World Cup cricket tournament, the Irish have pulled off one of the most significant upsets in international cricket, beating 1992 champions Pakistan by three wickets - on St Patrick's Day.
At Kingston, Jamaica, captain Trent Johnson hit the winning runs (a six, no less) but was then taken to hospital. ``I've got some sort of rotator cuff problem in the left shoulder,'' he said. ``I injured it diving for a ball today. Hopefully, I can get that right for six days. I've got to take it easy tonight and watch the rest of the boys party.''
If you (or anyone you know) put money on Ireland to beat Pakistan, please let me know - immediately!

4 comments:

Ron said...

Hi There,

Okay, I'l admit it - I'm not the biggest cricket fan in the world (the sport just isn't that big in the US), but I DO understand the significance of the world cup. So here's a toast to the minnows no more!

--Ron West
Davis, CA

http://revolttoday.blogspot.com/

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ron,

Nice of you to drop by and comment. Yes, I join you in toasting Ireland. What a World Cup debut!

David

Anonymous said...

I was quite happy for Ireland (Still am), but sad for Bob. What could have actually caused his sudden death. Do you think Pakistan not making it to the Super 8 made him go into such depression and then this. I guess its one of those things I will always wonder about. One man who really did a decent job of keeping that team in line, I am sure he will be missed by many.... Siddharth

david mcmahon said...

Hi Siddharth,

You're so right. The last time something like this happened was when Ken Barrington, then manager of the England squad, died suddenly during a tour of the Windies in the early 80s.

TV reports are quoting cause of death as a mixture of two common causes. I won't go into it here because I am very wary of legal issues - and I do not have proof until I see the coroner's report.

A very sad day for Pakistan and a very sad day for cricket.

David