Saturday, March 31, 2007

H€adlines & D€adlines

Hindu Man-Goddess Is A Blessing In Disguise

Pointing out stories you may have missed. An unemployed London man has found work at last - as an Indian goddess believed to have the power to cure infertility. Indian pilgrims head to a remote temple in Gujarat to be blessed by Steve Cooper, 32, from the south west London suburb of Tooting. Does he miss the big smoke? Apparently not. ``I love being here,'' he said. ``I don't miss anything about Tooting.''
He is regarded as a reincarnation of Bahucharaji, the patron of Indian eunuchs. He has been at the temple in the northern state of Gujarat for three months.Steve calls himself Pamela. But his devotees have dubbed him Prema, Hindi for Divine Love.
He said: ``All my life I just didn't fit. Now I've found my life. I plan to stay for good. I couldn't leave now.''
He decided on his new career after Indian friends told him he looked and moved just like the ancient goddess. Steve said: ``I feel as if I have come home. I was meant to be here. When I first came to the temple, I sat down and smiled. Everything fell into place. After about 20 minutes everyone crowded around and I naturally started blessing people. When I touch people I connect with them.''

News source: Ananova

6 comments:

Bart said...

Well, of course you like it. You're being worshiped.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Talk about being put on a pedestal!

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

jWhat I want to know is, how come all the weirdo's happen to be called Cooper??

(A.K.A. Carol Cooper)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

That's a fair point. I'm thinking of Alice Cooper, too.

You know the really curious coincidence? The central character of my novel `Vegemite Vindaloo' is called Steve Cooper!

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

David,

Steve Cooper? Isn't he your book's protagonist? What a weird coincidence!!

Happy to still be on your weekly list...

cheers,
Cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,

Wasn't that a strange coincidence. I couldn't believe it when I saw the BBC story. I thought maybe it was an early April Fools' joke.

Always nice to hear from you. Hope your weather is getting milder and that the girls are doing well.

Take care

David