Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Roaring Forties

Better Than Theatre, And They're Great Props

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


During the Air Show, I was standing maybe fifty metres away when I saw the pilot climb into the cockpit of this Grumman Avenger. Realising that I could position myself to capture a classic vintage sight, I sprinted over to shoot what I knew would follow in a few moments.
There was the classic cough-splutter-cough-splutter-roar routine as the engine fired and the propeller jerked stiffly before moving in a blur. And I had my picture. The first frame has not been digitally enhanced in any way - the grey/sepia tones are simply caused by the billowing fumes that emanate from the exhaust stacks.
Several onlookers turned away or covered their mouths and noses as the smoke wafted over them. Me? I just breathed deeply, and gratefully. It was like inhaling incense at St Peter's in Rome.
Then, as the Avenger pilot taxied out a few minutes later, I realised I had another really rare photograph. Off his port wing was a World War II-vintage P-51 Mustang. The sun was over my right shoulder and I got three frames as the harsh light glinted off the Avenger's wings.
Interesting light conditions, too, because the afternoon sunlight was strong, yet the sky in the frame was moody and sullen grey. You know the really strange thing about the second picture? If you didn't know it was shot this week, it could well have been an authentic scene from any Allied airfield in the Forties.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Shot!!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Bikerstud,

Thanks for dropping by and taking the trouble to leave a comment.

I just wish there was some way of using technology to let people double-click on a jpeg image to let them smell the exhaust smoke of the Grumman Avenger!

Cheers and I hope you come back to visit this site.

David

plakboek said...

Fantastic!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Roland,

Many thanks. I was pretty happy with the shots, but Bikerstud and you have both reiterated my sense of achievement.

Thanks for dropping by and leaving that comment.

Cheers

David

Doug said...

David,
Gorgeous photos of some old
flying iron. Being an aviation
nut those pics really caught
my attention!
Cheers,
Doug

david mcmahon said...

Hi Doug,

I was luck to see the pilot climbing on the wing - so I just about had enough time to run over and position myself.

Fortunately, too, the configuration of the viewing area meant that I was behind the Grumman Avenger.

The shots would not have had the same effect if I'd been standing in front of the aircraft.

Cheers

David