Wednesday, March 28, 2007

H€adlines & D€adlines

Que Sierra Sierra? No, Not This Time

Pointing out stories you may have missed. Prominent blogger Kathy Sierra has called on fellow bloggers to combat online abuse. It follows a series of death threats which she says have forced her to suspend her blog and cancel a public appearance at the ETech conference in San Diego on Monday.

Sierra described on her blog, Creating Passionate Users, how she had faced a campaign of threats, including a post that featured a picture of her next to a noose. The police are investigating, but one core issue is how women bloggers are treated online.

Sierra began receiving death threats four weeks ago. Since going public on the issue, she has been overwhelmed by the support she has received. ``I agonised about making this post but I hoped it would start a dialogue," she told BBC.com. ``I never thought it would become so big or be this positive.''

She believes the fact that she is a woman is partly responsible for what she says is a campaign against her. ``I am afraid to leave my yard, I will never feel the same. I will never be the same," she said on her blog.

News source: BBC.com.

EDITORIAL DECLARATION: This blog strongly condemns any form of violence or cyber threats.

6 comments:

Jenera said...

That's insane! It's so sad and scary that crazy people will find any and everywhere to spread hate and discontent.

Thanks for the comments on my photos, I very much appreciated it. I've posted a few more if you have the time to go take a gander.

Thanks,
Jenera

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jenera,

I agree with you. However, I'm sure she will find it within her to continue blogging.

No worries at all about the comments on your photos. Yes, of course I'll have a look at your latest batch and give you some feedback.

Just give me three hours or so and I'll get onto it.

Cheers

David

Bart said...

That's pretty f'ed up right there.

Chele76 said...

how frightening....

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

You're so right. No one needs threats.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chele76,

You're right - and it raises some fundamental issues, as well.

This is supposed to be the 21st century!

Cheers

David