Tuesday, March 27, 2007

H€adlines & D€adlines

Independence Daze Worth Almost $500,000

Pointing out stories you may have missed. Amazing thought it may seem, a rare 1823 copy of the Declaration of Independence sold at auction for $477,650 by a man who found it last year in a Nashville thrift store for $2.48. Six bidders competed for the document, most by phone or on the internet, when bidding opened at $125,000. The identity of the winner was not disclosed. Michael Sparks found his bargain last March while browsing at Music City Thrift Shop. When he asked the price on a yellowed, rolled-up document, the clerk marked it at $2.48 plus tax. The document turned out to be an "official copy" of the Declaration of Independence - one of 200 commissioned by John Quincy Adams in 1820 when he was secretary of state and printed by William Stone in 1823.

News source: IndyStar.com

4 comments:

Ak-Man said...

Dammit Dave!!!

Didnt i ask you to get me the news before it happens? I should have sold the original copy for half a mill!

I'm waitin for a tip off D.

david mcmahon said...

Okay, Ak-Man, I know when I've been sacked!

Er, maybe the email I sent you got mis-delivered by the postman.

I really did mean to tell you before the auction!

Next time ....

David

Ak-Man said...

LOL...

OK, fair enough.

It's just that I've been watching My Super Sweet 16 on MTV a lot lately and I really wanna splash out for my 23rd B-day...

...But I'm lacking funds. The pressure is gettin to me.

david mcmahon said...

Okay, Ak-Man,

Let's go to Plan B. You know how John Quincy Adams was one of your direct ancestors? Remember you told me that once?

So just get the special copy of the Declaration he left to your family (and that is now rightfully yours) and put it on eBay.

Problem solved! Happy birthday in advance.

David