Thursday, March 22, 2007

How Do You Hide A Skyscraper?

Easy. Just Wait For A Decent Fog To Roll In

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


The fog this morning began to lift very gradually as the sun rose and the temperature climbed rapidly. I suddenly noticed the strong sunlight reflected off the Commonwealth Bank building, in the form of an extremely rare series of sharp diagonal rays. It was only as I shot the first frame that I realised the fog had enveloped one of the city skyscrapers. Exactly five minutes later the skyscraper had started to emerge as the fog burnt off, so I shot the second frame. As you know, I never shoot with filters, nor do I digitally enhance my photographs in any way. And if you think the quality of the images is not too shabby, let me give you the most pertinent piece of information. They were not taken in the open air, but through the plate glass window of an office building on the opposite side of the Yarra River!

6 comments:

Fletch said...

Terrific pics!

As usual.

Marianne said...

What a memorable pea-souper! I was up at Hakone in Japan a few years back and they have fogs that hide mountains! I was in the foothills of Mt Fuji: I knew it was there, but just couldn't see it. :-D The lake ships gliding in out of the fog to pick us up was just a bit spooky too.

Great photos!


Cheers
Marianne

phaseoutgirl said...

Wow... really cool pics! Have been very busy this last week, but always have time to check out your blog!
cheers,
Cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Hi El Tel,

I knew you'd like those shots. Yes, I was very happy with the pictures!

Take care

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

Now that's a fog I'd like to see! Then again, I went to school in Darjeeling, where the backdrop to my school was the second-highest mountain range in the world.

But I only appreciated it when I went to Switzerland and saw that the Alps were not a patch on the Indian mountains.

Hindsight's a funny thing.

David

david mcmahon said...

Dear Cecilia,

Always a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you for taking the trouble to visit - and to leave a comment of appreciation.

I've been flat out the past two weeks - got a novel to finish. After that, will revert to checking your site every day, as I used to.

Take care

David