Thursday, March 29, 2007

On Golden Pond

Capture The Reflection - Oar Else

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

I was walking across Princes Bridge this morning as the sun came up over the Yarra. The sky was clear, which meant I got this beautiful, deep reflection of shimmering gold across the surface of the river. But I waited about ninety seconds for the kayakers to enter the frame. I composed this shot very quicky and very deliberately, because I wanted you to see the reflection of the sun first and then to say: ``Oh, yeah, there's something else in the picture.'' Olympic rowers and kayakers are a part of the city's early-morning culture, so this is as typical a Melbourne shot as you'll get. I'm sure you can see why I wanted the kayakers not to dominate the frame, but to be a subtle add-on.

4 comments:

gs said...

lovely picture,david.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Gopal,

It just happened that way. I was just fortunate to be there at the right time.

Without the kayak, though, I don't think it would have had the same effect.

Have you been watching the World Cup?

Keep smiling

David

gs said...

yes,it was horrifying to see the performance of our boys in blue.i honestly feel that they are overrated,inconsistent and very unreliable.too much of money and too many girls chasing them add to the problems.
you might not like this.an united indian team has been totally demoralised by gc.his techniques have failed and a spirited team stands thoroughly reduced to zero.a vip from oz told a friend of mine that he was given this 'mission'.to reduce them to pulp.
i am an admirer of the aussie team.they are the best.and mathew hayden's batting when he made two consecutive centuries was an object lesson for every batsman.
cricket is also an uncertain game.but they are still my favourites.when i was in bangalore club recently and was watching hayden firing on all cylinders,a bearer put it aptly."they play for their country,sir".

david mcmahon said...

Hi Gopal,

I'm always interested in your viewpoint - and I guess I find it hard to reconcile the fact that India, with their amazing depth of talent, could bow out so tamely.

So, wht is it? Do they play as a united team, inspired by the tricolour? I'd love to know what you think.

I have a great story to tell you about Hayden. Years ago, he wrote to the Australian Cricket Academy when he was a teeng cricketer, askin if he could get a spot there. They wrote back saying, sorry, only people who were likely to play for their country could earn a spot at the Academy.

It was probably his greatest insiration, to prove them wrong. And how resoundingly he's succeeded.

The bearer in your club was right. So right.

David