Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pistil Whipped

The Last Of The Purple Starbursts

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


The agapanthus is synonymous with summer in Melbourne. They are majestic plants and you see them in starbursts of white or purple, their massive heads held on slender stalks as high as a man's waist. At the base of each plant is a rich cluster of verdant green and they are so hardy that you can literally dig one up, cut it in half and each will continue to grow and thrive. But most of the blooms are gone now. I saw this one a few days ago, with the last tattered remnants in the dappled sunlight - and I had to get the camera out immediately.

4 comments:

Chele76 said...

another beatiful picture... I love that deep blue.

Anonymous said...

another great shot, you are certainly making me look at the world with different eyes! ~ kathb

david mcmahon said...

Hi chele76,

Thank you for dropping by and taking the trouble to leave a comment.

As soon as I saw the scene, the contrast of colours was great and the light was just right.

Glad you liked the shot. Hope you visit this site again.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi kathb,

That is a huge compliment and a very generous one.

I guess I just stop and photograph most of the scenes that some people just take for granted.

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

Cheers

David