Friday, March 23, 2007

Omission Control

Houston, We Have A Straggler

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

This was just such an unusual image that I had to capture it. The abandoned figure of the NASA astronaut was just one of the many scenes I shot during the big clear-up after Moomba, the week-long Melbourne festival that welcomes autumn. There was something forlorn about this figure, propped against a portable generator before being loaded onto a truck. I grew up in the Apollo era, when astronauts represented courage and the essence of adventure. It's always struck me as highly appropriate that Andy, the child ``hero'' of the movie `Toy Story' had two favourite toys, Woody and Buzz. A cowboy. And an astronaut. There could be no better embodiment of the American pioneering spirit.

8 comments:

Marianne said...

Hi David,
Hope Moomba was wonderful again this year. :-)

Oh, a man after my own heart. I was born in 1964, and remember watching the moonshot on our spindlylegged black and white TV. I still have a passion for those years, and the achievements that people were so proud of. I've even written about it once or twice. :-D

When I married and moved to the USA, I found that my husband was a huge fan of the space program and began his career as a space artist.

Thanks for sharing!

Marianne
PS: I have photos somewhere of a fake Space Shuttle laying around in pieces in a yard somewhere in Williamtown, NSW. That was about 15 years ago now. Funny the things you see out and around. :-)

savannah said...

how did we go so wrong here, david?

SandipM said...

Good picture, "Omission" pun, and commentary. I wonder what would be less welcome - the inattention faced by this astronaut (were he/she alive) or the media hoopla surrounding the female astronaut who drove 900 miles to bump off her rival in a love triangle... I've a feeling she'd be happy to trade places with this one. :-)
-Sandip

Anonymous said...

That's so neat, capturing a brave warrior looking so lost & forlorn after his Mission('s) Accomplished.

Rene.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Savannah,

Must have been the result of a `crew cut'!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sandip,

Thanks for dropping by and for leaving some feedback.

I was pretty pleased with the ``omission control'' line - it just popped into my head!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

Moomba came and went VERY quickly and the parade was great, very colourful.

The moon shot obviously had an effect on all of us. I'd love to have ayarn to your husband about as space art.

And if you find the pics of yor space shuttle, just let me know!

Haven't forgotten that I told you I'd post a photograph for you. Probably Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers and do stay in touch.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Rene,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Yes, as soon as I saw the cardboard cutout it just yelled ``shoot this scene''.

Cheers

David