Saturday, April 12, 2008

Just Twisted, Not Bitter

Where's Chubby Checker When You Need Him?

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


TNChick had me racking my brain today, with the theme for this week's Photo Hunt being "Twisted". So in the absence of a Chubby Checker lookalike to photograph, it is my pleasure to give you this variety of takes on the subject. Each object was photographed exactly where it was. I donlt believe in moving things to shoot them in a better light or from a better angle - working around a problem is the true joy of photography.

Here's a challenge for all of you - see if you can guess what each object is.

No. 1. We'll start with an easy one. If you said pipe cleaners, you are correct.


No. 2. This was a curly one to shoot, because I was working in a very cramped space.


Figured it out? Yes, of course you have. It's the twisted wire from a hair straightener called a GHD - which I am reliably informed by certain members of the Authorblog mansion is an acronym for "Good Hair Day".


No 3. It's "knot" too hard to solve, is it? Time to put your thinking cap on.


Okay, it's the laces on a pair of Adidas trainers. I reckon it was either a very brave decision or a very foolhardy one to try and photograph a white object with no other colours in the frame. But that's the beauty of pushing the boundaries, isn't it?


No 4. Getting more challenging now? Any bright ideas? It's not the lord of the rings. That's for sure.


This was a pair of Osram MiniTwist energy-saver light globes. They were still in their thick plastic packaging, which made it a lot harder to photograph them while dealing with extraneous reflection.


No 5. This set of weather-beaten wires is an external set of Christmas lights, photographed on a hot Melbourne afternoon. The light colour of the bricks tended to wash out in the extremely bright light, so I composed the shot to include the dark, clear shadow as well.


No 6. Whaddya reckon? Any ideas? Maybe it's part of a spring collection.


This view of the same object will give you a better idea of what it is. Yep, it's a spring from a trampoline.

(The photographs accompanying this post were taken with a new macro lens, the SMC Pentax-DA 1:2.8mm Macro Limited. Note the clarity and the great depth of field - and watch this blog for more shots with this lens.)

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're giving that new macro lens quite a workout. I'll look forward to seeing more, too.

Colin Campbell said...

Great pictures David and nice effects from the lens. Have nice weekend.

Corey~living and loving said...

oh how you are having fun with the macro! love each and every photo. WEll done David!
have a great weekend. :)

Katney said...

I always know that I can find an early entry here. You've gathered your wits and your twists to come up with quite a collection. Stop by mine later on as my twists will show up on my time zone.

Velvet Ginger said...

Cool! We mere mortals certainly see things differently when looking at things near & far!

Jennifer S said...

Hey, I guessed the shoelaces!

Great choices, and that lens is amazing.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What fun shots!

Cath said...

I thought the first one might be twirly twizzler things in a cocktail. That camera is very good. The shots are very clear. You are having fun with it! And the white laces - brave and it paid off.

Leslie: said...

Good ones, David! I guessed the pipe cleaners, the cord, the laces, and the lightbulb. Was that all of them? *pats self on back* I must admit, though, that I didn't know "exactly" what kind of electrical cord it was. I have some cords on mine today along with 2 other twisty things. Come on over! :D

Leslie: said...

Oh yes, I knew that last one was some kind of spring. ;D

ancient one said...

Lots of twists on this blog today!!

jmb said...

Looks like you had fun for this week. I love the pipe cleaners but had no idea what they were. Have a good weekend.

imac said...

Cor David, you sure are springing into photo action here, and putting some light onto the subjects.

Sandi McBride said...

You'll take a picture of anything, David...course that's probably not a bad thing...I love the energy saving twisted bulb lights...have them in every room in the house, and two not in the house, lol...
Sandi

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Now that I'm all stocked up on florescent bulbs I hear they're coming out with LEDs that are better.

You just can't stay ahead of the curve unless you back up!

Jeff B said...

Great series of shots. The detail your new lens provides is amazing. Of cousre the photographer behind the lens is a big help too!

***Fotografia e Luz*** said...

Beautiful pictures in Macro

Anonymous said...

I love the artistry of your shots!

eastcoastlife said...

What a challenging theme this week!

Such ordinary objects come alive in your photos! *kowtow to the Master..... dripping envy*

Anonymous said...

David, these are wonderful macro shots. I got all but was stumped at the last one, :D

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi David! I am back!

I just love how you did your 'assignment' really well for today's PhotoHunt theme. Great macro shots, David!

Happy weekend!

dixymiss said...

Fantastic shots, all of them. I really liked the white on white composition (laces), but the last piX (trampoline spring) is my personal favorite of the bunch. Looks like you're thoroughly enjoying that eXciting new macro lens.

Harajuku PearL said...

Boy, that macro lens sure comes in handy. The pictures look jus like postcards...

Pearl - have a good weekend

Shrinky said...

You have this uncanny ability to take inspiration from what is ordinarily the most mundane of things, turning them into nothing less than objects of art!

It inspires me to look at things differently, use my imagination as well as my lens to capture that unusual shot.

jams o donnell said...

Great shots. I see you love your macro lens as much as I love mine! Have a great weekend

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

My mind is getting pretty twisted :P
Love the macro shots, I'm still trying to figure out the macro settings on my cam. *brain.blockage.currently* LOL

Enjoy the weekend David!!

Anonymous said...

I was not unhappy until you came along. Now I want a real camera.

Akelamalu said...

That was fun David, I got most of them. Great shots btw.

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow David. Fantastiv imaginative takes on this theme.

Dragonstar said...

Lovely shots. My favourite is the white Adidas laces - beautiful!

Maggie May said...

Brilliantly clear photos!

CRIZ LAI said...

Haha... you did a great collection here David. I managed to figure all out except the first photo. I thought it was some tinsels from the Christmas tree :P

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Hootin Anni said...

You REALLY did your homework this week for the challenge. Amazing. I especially like the twisted light fixture close up!!!

I'm Twisted! Drop by if you can. Happy Hunting.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

very cool macro work david it is always so prvocative

Unknown said...

This is a great twisted collection David! Well done.

Anna said...

I love all your twisted shots! I am the one doing Project Yellow...come check it out!

Great shots here!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: That first shot could be part of Project Yellow. This was a nice set of twisting. Professional as usual.

Lori said...

I've been having computer problems so haven't gotten to read as much lately. I've missed coming here!

I love this post. Your new lens is amazing as are these photographs. This is a great theme...you only need to be out here on the prairies to photograph the twisted barbed wires of the fences that line our pastures.

Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Love all of the photos for this week's theme. Great macro.

maryt/theteach said...

David, you went to town with your new lens! Great photos! Saw your comments on Project Yellow - Anna is letting the project run into next week. You can post yellow every day, or one day. You can post as often as you like. This is right up your alley, David! :D

Sarge Charlie said...

nice twist from down under, have a great weekend, not much left for you.

Mima said...

Really loving your macro shots, you really had me guessing with the first shot of the coil, love those shots where you have to think about it before you figure out what it is! You were very brave with the laces, and they have turned out beautifully, with the shadow bringing in colour tint.

Moosekahl said...

i like this set...a bit quirky and very fun.

Rach said...

wow lots of twists there!

Anonymous said...

I guessed pipe cleaners (wonderful shot! great light), and wires. And know what? I was right every time! hehehe

I love posts like this.

Barbara said...

Your twisted photos are superb, ordinary things to puzzle over!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I want that lens!

Oh, and you'll be so "ashamed" of me; I've started cropping/color-correcting my photos on occasion. ACK! :)

SandyCarlson said...

Bravo, David! The wires of the Christmas lights look as if they were crawling across a desert. Magnificent photography, as usual.

Anonymous said...

Great choices! I especially like the lightbulbs. I never would have thought of that.