Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Sunday Roast

The Egel Has Landed


This week's interview is with Bradley Egel,
who writes the blog The Egel Nest.


The first of the standard weekly questions: Why do you blog?

I blog because the world clearly needs more of me. Seriously though, in 2005, I started blogging to keep my family and friends posted on our happenings. It was a great way to quickly share stories and photos. Slowly though, I began to get visitors from outside my circle of family and friends. At first, this was confusing for me. I didn't really understand, though charming, talented, and stunningly interesting, why anyone would want to read my blog. I actually found the answer in my interest in reading other people's blogs.

Over time, I grew attached to my other blog friends and they became attached to the nest. It is the ultimate technological symbiotic relationship. I also love when we see friends or family after long absences from each other and they inform me how they have been keeping up with our family via the blog. This is always such a nice surprise. Furthermore, my Mom and I have always had a wonderful real-life relationship, but I absolutely adore our virtual relationship; the way she supports and critiques my blog...the way she is always commenting and interacting with others on my blog...it is just another wonderful part of our already fantastic mother-son relationship.

What's the story behind your blog name?

The Egel Nest was a natural fit. My last name is Egel ... pronounced like the bird "eagle." We have always called our house The Egel Nest. Our answering machine usually states, "You've reached The Egel Nest," and so on. So, it was really an easy choice. I also like the idea that the blog has become a friendly and safe place for friends, family, and blog buddies to come and "kibbitz" (chat). The idea of a nest fits in well with these principles.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

My favorite thing about being a blogger is that I always have somewhere to direct people when they want to know more about me and my family. If someone wants to see recent pictures of our son...go to the blog. If someone wants to read fun stories about our family...go to the blog. If someone is melancholy and downtrodden...we'll cheer you up...go to the blog. I also love being part of a community that understands my issues with blogging whether they are technological or emotional. Bloggers understand bloggers!

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

My advice would be three-fold. 1.) At first many bloggers struggle to gain visitors and/or people leaving comments. The key, I have found, is to regularly visit other peoples' blogs and
you will soon see your traffic pick up dramatically. 2.) Try not to create a blog that is too "busy." I find blogs that are messy and/or chaotic to be quite distracting. This also may slow your blog's load time and this can be frustrating for readers. 3.) Last, but maybe most importantly, don't feel obligated to blog unless you have something you really want to write about. I find people blogging about their blogging frustrations a lot. I don't really understand this. Doesn't this violate some fundamental law of physics? Writing about writer's block? Maybe it is cathartic for some, but for me I find that people who blog for the long haul (people who stick around for more than the first year) write when they feel passionate and enjoy and do other things when they don't feel like blogging.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

Without divulging the source, the most touching blog or series of blogs were from a person chronicling their battle with cancer. They eventually passed away. Perhaps this is an unfair question as I have had so many influential blogs that I have read over time. (Including some right here on Authorblog)!

Thank you for the compliment, Bradley. What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Although I love tooting my own horn, at least in the privacy of my own home, it is hard to pick one blog that stands out the most. But I think the post I wrote about my Stepfather Bruce, a Vietnam war veteran, would have to be right up there with my finest work. Not because of my writing skill...it was an interview after all...but because it made me feel wonderful to share his heroic tales with the blogosphere. You can find this post at Interview For Veterans' Day. Thanks David for this interesting and thought-provoking interview series. I look forward to reading about other bloggers!



Today's Sunday Roast with Bradley is the thirteenth in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

16 comments:

Bradley's Mom said...

David:

You are SUCH a gem!

Thank you so much for featuring my wonderful son for your Sunday Roast. I know he is so flattered by this, as he had such admiration for you, as we all do!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart......the world needs more folks like you AND Bradley!!

xoxo
Linda

Bradley's Mom said...

WHOOPS.......that was a typo!!

It should be HAS such admiration for you!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

That was a great interview. Egles Nests sounds like a lovely chap and definitely worth visiting.

CJ xx

Snooty Primadona said...

Great post! I think I've been having experiences all my life just so I could eventually end up blogging. I love this new world and I'm never leaving.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I love Bradley's blog. I visit it all the time, it's on my reader.

merry weather said...

I've just been there, great blog and I'm still thinking of ants :).

That's good advice about not writing until you've got something to say... Very true.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What a fascinating interview! I'm tempted to go over there and indulge, but I can't keep up with my current blog load and so I'm afraid I'll get sucked in by the lovely wit and humour evident in the interview answers.

Must...be...strong...

The Egel Nest said...

David and Everyone -

Thank you for the tremendous honor of being featured as your lucky 13th Sunday Roast. :)

David...I find so much inspiration, beauty, and humor within THIS blog...I am truly flattered to be neatly tucked amongst your creativity.

Thanks again to everyone!

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Corey~living and loving said...

Big fan of Bradley. BIG!
great interview. :)

Shrinky said...

Ah, I do so enjoy this weekly spot. Another fascinating and interesting interview David, I must visit Bradley's site now and wave a hello!

i beati said...

great post David. I love the Adventures of Sammy as I call it and the Egel's big book of wisdom.and fun.sk

Cath said...

Great interview again David! I love Egel's NEst.

Jody Egel said...

Great interview!! I'm happy that Bradley enjoys his blogging and that other enjoy reading his blog.

Jody

Akelamalu said...

What a great interview! I'll be sure to visit Egel's Nest soon.

Colleen said...

I do quite like this :)

Rose said...

Yeah, Bradley!! Thanks David for featuring Bradley and the Egel Nest. What a nice surprise to see in me reader!