Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pistil Whipped

Careful, Sheriff, This Evidence Is `Planted'

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I hadn’t heard of the Project Yellow theme until I saw a reference to it on Texican’s blog. Then I heard from Anna Carson, asking if I’d be interested in taking part. I had a look at her blog, liked what I saw and told her she could sign me up straight away.

This rose is the only Chicago Peace variety we have in our garden and I just wish I’d planted more. They’re huge, double-coloured, stunning blooms with a very long-lasting scent and even though we’re halfway through autumn, this bush is still in full bloom. This particular flower was in the last stage of withering on the stem when I photographed it.

I guess it just proves that if we care to look deep enough in all walks of life, it is truly possible to find beauty in decay.

For details, or to join the theme, go to Anna Carson.

16 comments:

Cath said...

Those close up shots are brilliant. What beauty as you say in decay.

I have seen it in my own garden today. Posting later..

Anonymous said...

Lovin' the view through your macro David!

Lia Hollander said...

Looking at your blooms makes me excited to see the sprouts coming up in our yard.

But not the weedy sprouts, they go bye-bye.

Andrea and Kim said...

You are so right, beauty can sure be in decay and often to see the important things in life we have to look very deep!

Thank you for reminding us, David!

Kat said...

You have such an amazing eye!

Sam Fox said...

Hi David! Thanks for that shot - I could smell the beautiful perfume from NZ! Your garden must be delightful. And of course there is beauty in decay ... as the circle of life continues...but captured by your lens magnificently as ever.

Mom Knows Everything said...

Beautiful! I have a rose bush that was my grandfathers and every time it blooms I think of him.

Stacey Olson said...

Beautiful post. love the heading! We all need to look deeper to find the beauty in things now and then.

dot said...

That's a pretty one for sure and the pistil whipped bit had me laughing out loud!

Sandi McBride said...

So very very pretty, David...my mother frequently rooted roses off her own stock...she took a healthy stem and cut it four thorns from the main cut, dipped it into rooting compound, placed it in damp sand in a bell jar and kept it covered for up to five weeks (in part to full sun) and the humidity kept the sand damp, then check for roots and if they had formed well, planted the rose in light potting mixture in a quart size patio pot for a while then planted it out. Or you could do as I do and just go buy one.
I'm lazy that way.
Sandi

Merisi said...

I agree, beauty can be found anywhere, and in wilting roses in particular. You captured beauty at its most vulnerable state, beautifully. :-)

Anonymous said...

beauty on your shot. wonderful capture

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for sharing this photo and this observation, David! Wonderful stuff.

jillie said...

Wow...that is such a beautiful picture. My roses are now just blooming and coming to life. I cannot wait.

Mima said...

Lovely shot, I love the detail that you have managed to capture. I still have a while to go before my roses start to flower, but can't wait!

Anna said...

This is wonderful! I am always drawn to flowers that are fading...can't they be just as beautiful if not more?

I am so glad that you took part in Project Yellow! I have had a lot of fun with it as you can tell! A new project will be up Sunday after a little break for me...

Take care!