Friday, March 09, 2007

My Follow Americans

Captain America Is Gone But Not Forgotten

Marvel Comics has killed off its oldest character.

In the wake of Captain America's demise, I've been monitoring the new websites to see which one posts the best follow-up story. And the Oscar goes to .... Vito Pilieci's report on the website OttawaCitizen.com. Here are excerpt from his story.
Within hours of the news that Marvel Comics had killed off its oldest character, copies of Captain America No. 25 sold out in comic book shops across Ottawa. The book shows the American folk hero being assassinated by a sniper while he is being led, in handcuffs, into a federal court.
At The Comic Book Shoppe on Bank Street, 60 copies of the book sold out in less than three hours. The store has ordered 50 more copies and has a waiting list of people eager to get one.
``We put out 60 copies at around 10:30am. Within the hour, we were down to 20,'' said Kris Maxwell, assistant manager of The Comic Book Shoppe. ``We had people flying in here just to check it out.'' Maxwell said not since DC Comics killed comic book superhero Superman in 1993 has there been such buzz around a comic book.
As with most items that are hard to find, many collectors are turning to Bay to try to get their hands on a copy of the latest Captain America. A quick look at the site showed more than 518 copies of the comic had been available to be purchased Thursday. Most, with a cover price of $4.99, were selling for between $80 and $100.
Maxwell said several people were buying multiple copies of the comic when it was released Wednesday, likely with the intention of flipping them on eBay. He had a word of advice for those people: ``Turn it around now or right away. In the world of comic books, no one stays dead forever.''
There are already rumblings on comic book-themed websites that Captain America may be back in action much sooner than many had anticipated.

10 comments:

Toni Brayer, MD said...

Hi Aussi David, I like your site and the great photos. Please check out my new blog
www.healthwise-everythinghealth.blogspot.com

rohit malik said...

hi,

Here i'm nomiating for my blog : www.delhievents.com

Regards, Rohit

steve said...

Hi David Thanks for the feedback , I sometimes feel so proud that visitors share thier memories with me , and hope I can achieve my long term goal of creating an online social history from ordinary peoples memories, sometimes it is not just the well written ones that touch me but the memories that have few very words but it can help understand how an earlier generations lives were so different
Design is not my strongpoint and not very good at graphics iether so any ideas that may help using my very limited skills would be great thanks

steve
The People History
Where People Memories and History Join

rohit malik said...

hi,

You can send me an email as i don't have your email id otherwise i could do that. You will find my email easily at the blog.
I would love to discuss your suggestions & more.

Regards, Rohit

Bart said...

If there's one thing I've learned about comic books, it's that nobody is ever dead. DC pulled this same stunt about ten years ago with Superman, if you remember.

Ak-Man said...

Is or isn't Superman dead?

If he is, how did he die? Natural causes?

I really hope it wasnt kryptonite . . . he always fell for the old kryptonite in a sandwhich trick!

And where was all of Captain America's buddies when he got sniped? These 'Super Heroes' suyrprise me with their lack of loyalty to one another.

Anyone else remember the episode of Spiderman when he and Wolverine were fighting each other?

Cor Blimey!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steve,

You're welcome. I think your ambition is terrific and I'm sure that as you get more publicity, more people will tell you their stories.

It's all about understanding other people's lives, isn't it?

With design elements, the next time someone sends you a story, maybe ask them to send you a couple of photographs as well, so you can display them.

I think you're doing a great job across a wide social fabric and I wish you the very best of luck.

Contact me here for feedback at any time and I'll always get back to you.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Rohit,

It was good visiting your site and being able to give you some feedback. I tend to answer queries here quicker than I get to my email, so this would be the quickest way to get a reply.

Buzz me here at any time and I'll always get back to you. Glad to be of assistance. Good luck with your site and stay in touch.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

You're absolutely right. But it's a good way to stir up some interest and sales.

Marvel Comics do a great job and they certainly know their market. I'm sure public pressure will lead to his revival!

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ak-Man,

I don't actually remember the episode that you've asked about - but I'm sure someone else will.

It's a great milieu. Has always stimulated readers, and always will. I think they do a great job.

David