Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Orient Expression

Raise The Red Lantern

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


In keeping with the theme of the Beijing Olympics, I thought I'd post this photo which I shot in December in Singapore. I had just emerged from a railway station and I was waiting for the rain to stop when I noticed this long walkway with an interesting roof line, dotted with lanterns.

The shot below shows you what attracted my attention to the sight. It was an interesting sight, because of the long row of fringed lanterns, but there was a complicating factor. Although the angular wooden beams were dark, the light coming through the open walkway was very bright.

To overcome the problem, I decided to take a shot looking straight up at one lantern. As you can see, I was directly underneath it, which is why you can hardly see the long tassels. I reckon it works, simply because it's an unusual angle, and because the red and gold are so effective.

14 comments:

Louise said...

These are great shots. I love the bright color against the rustic background.

Pat - Arkansas said...

It worked! :)

Maggie May said...

Really lovely shots.

SandraRee said...

That second shot is stunning!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Just beautiful. Did you see the opening ceremony? It was amazing.

Bernie said...

Way to cool... But what does firectly underneath it mean??? Perhaps a typo lol lol lol

By the way, I have awarded you the 'Brilliant Blogger Award'

Jennifer S said...

I love both shots, but especially the first. The red and gold and the design on the lantern...it all works together.

Anonymous said...

Some really beautifully captured shots...love the colours!

Tess Kincaid said...

Really beautiful!!

Neva said...

You have an eye for wonderful eye catching photos......very nice, David.

Woman in a Window said...

Gorgeous. There's no denying that colour!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: Very neat captures of the red lanterns.

Unknown said...

beautiful pictures.

polona said...

wow, these are great hots, especially considering the difficul lighting.