Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Sunday Roast

Painter, Poet And Writer - Chewy Does It All


This week's interview is with Chewy,
who writes the blog The Back Of My Headboard.


The first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

One day I went fishing... and darn it... I got myself caught in the net. Now I surf the wave, riding high, tumbling low, all the while discovering new beaches. Eventually other surfers slip into my wake and follow back to my towel. They rest, take in the scenery and converse. We share sunny ideas and warm comments. It’s a delightful place to be.

What’s the story behind your blog name?

I started a blog on the spur of the moment. - Screen name? um... c-h-e-w-y. "Chewy" as in that bubblegum song "Chewy Chewy". A joke between a friend and I. The lyrics "Always has a mouthful of such sweet things to say," expanded my full screen name to Chewy Sweetwater. The back of my headboard is where, as a kid, I stuck my chewed gum. The Back Of My Headboard is where I hang my art.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

Hanging my abstract paintings on the virtual gallery wall. Welcoming in old friends, lurking relatives and new visitors, listening to their observations and learning from their comments. And the best part of all is - it’s free!

What key advice would you give a newbie blogger?

First the obvious, visit David McMahon’s Authorblog. Pop in, flip through his journal, look through his viewfinder, leave a comment and check out the Post of the Day. Secondly, I’d advise signing up at Blog Cataolog. The site is a social blog directory, a great place to promote your blog and/or find blogs on various topics of interest.

What is the most significant blog post you’ve ever read?

I don’t recall any one particular post I’ve read. If my attention is not grabbed in the first few sentences of text... I’m on to the next blog. (sorry) So many blogs, so little time. One long time favorite blog to read is Shrink Wrapped Scream. Shrinky paints pictures with her words and tends to pull my emotions all around. Quite often she leaves the reader hanging, begging for more. A wonderful unexpected result is that her writings have inspired some of my paintings. Cool, huh?

Being an artist, I’m more attracted to art based blogs, painters in particular. The past few months have been especially exciting in that I have found a supportive circle of artists to share ideas, materials and techniques with. If you’re interested in art topics, click on over to Kim’s blog Creating Space; One Contemporary Artist's Ramblings, Discussions and Ideas. Kim always presents an engaging question at the end of her posts. Her comment section is like plopping down on a couch in an artist’s studio and joining in on the conversation.

What is the most significant blog post you’ve ever written?

I express myself visually through my artwork. I’m not a verbose writer, so I’ve not really written anything very significant. I’ve been trying my hand at writing haikus. My approach is usually as picture puzzles; describing an image using few words. I post them on Tuesdays.

Today's Sunday Roast with Chewy is the 30th in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

22 comments:

Saz said...

thanks David!! I love being introduced to new blogs....and the artwork, blew me away!!

katherine. said...

I truly enjoyed chewy's blog...and the interview.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
It's Sunday already? (chuckle) One second ago it was still Saturday.

Thanks for the Roast. Pass the gravy, please.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Very cool responses Chewy!

Cath said...

I've seen Chewy's blog before - a very talented artist. I love the interview, especially her answer to the first question. That is just what it is like.

~Babs said...

Chewy's Blog is one of those that you don't want to skip,,,for fear you'll miss something GREAT!
A fabulous artist, gardener,and all around fun gal!

Great choice David, and great interview questions!

RiverPoet said...

When I first saw "Chewy," I was thinking "Chewbacca" and thought it would be about Star Wars and all manner of furry beasts ;-)

Nice choice this week, David! Congratulations, Chewy!

Peace - D

Sandi McBride said...

Ah, someone knew...I need to ask her if her chewing gum loses its flavor on the bedpost overnight!
Sandi

Sandi McBride said...

SOMEONE NEW...must be this time thing, I thought it was Saturday...sorry...I hate spelling errors lol
Sandi (again)

Tash said...

David - Thanks for the roast & steering us to Chewy's interesting art - a terrific artist from 16 if not before (love the dog painting your uncle saved)

Akelamalu said...

Another new blog to visit, great!

Good interview. :)

Shrinky said...

Awwww, isn't she something? What a brilloiant interview (and it's not coloured in the least by the generous plug she gave me, either)!

I love Chewy's art, she is bursting with talent, and although she denies it, she is also a wonderful writer and poet, too.

Nice one, David.

Celebration of Life said...

Great choice David! I love Chewy's blog and her art! She is not only talented but is also a great humanitarian! She always has kind and encouraging words to say to others. She doesn't even mind talking to the animals; a female Dr. Dolittle of the blog world!

Jo

Unknown said...

a wonderful site and very talented lady... it was a great interview David.. i will be adding another link to my favs... :)

thankyou

Meg Wolff said...

I enjoyed the interview with Chewy. I found it interesting to learn how she got her nickname and the name of her blog. I think I first found her blog through you or San. Nice artwork blog. Funny how we attract what we are focusing on at the present time. My morning's blog post subject is Why I Blog. :- ), I noticed this was the first question you asked Chewy!

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow bloggers,
Thank you for reading and commenting on my interview. (smile) David has a great way of bringing us all together in a very positive and encouraging atmosphere.

Rhea said...

Fun interview! Chewy sounds interesting!

Mrs Mac said...

Ah good! Chewy has become a blogger friend. I can't even remember who found whom. It might even have been through a wee brown furry fella known to us both. Or was it Meanie. I don't recall.

That's the thing about blogging. You meet, greet, and get along. Some disappear after 2 weeks rarely to meet with you again. And you think, what the? They were here all the time! Now they're never here! But others, they just click with you. You know they're always around. When you have down patches you know they're there to support. And when you report successes they cheer you on. And you reciprocate, of course, or hope to.

My blogger friends have, over the last nearly 2 years, done everything from walking with me out of suicidal thoughts to taking part in a Synchronized Sitting competition with a certain Bear.

Where else would you get such a variety of people and such a spectrum of events?

Hurray for Chewy, a credit to Blogsphere and bloggers everywhere. I'm happy to be able to include her in my group of regular bloggerooneys.

:^)

Jane Hards Photography said...

Another blog on the to do list.
Anyone who thinks that bloggers have nothing of note to say, or any interesting wares to show should start with the roast.Another blog for me to dive into.

Andrea and Kim said...

Chewy! You are amazing! Thank you for the kind words...although, I have been away from my blog for a few weeks. :) I am back now!

You know I always wondered about Chewy...it is amazing how much you learn about someone in such a short time!

Anyone who doesn't know this very famous blogger/artist...now is your chance to give yourself a gift...go read her blog!

i beati said...

good material to chew on sandy

A.Bananna said...

Chewy is amazing! I love her blog! she is an insperation!!