Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Witch Hunt

Thank Goodness I Know How To Spell

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


A couple of weeks ago I was taking some shots of St Paul's Cathedral here in central Melbourne and had just wrapped up. I was walking out of the church and had already put the lens cap on my camera and placed it back in its bag.

That's when I caught sight of this huge hoarding across the street, advertising the musical "Wicked". It was emblazoned across a wall at Federation Square and so I guess I couldn't fail to notice it. But it was a busy time, with tourists all round the city and office workers on their lunch break - and I was determined to get a shot from across the street, without anyone else in the frame.

Naturally, I had to wait a while. So I framed the shot I wanted, zooming in close on the striking colour combination - and simply waiting for the crowds to clear.

I guess I was just spellbound.

22 comments:

San said...

This casting call must have been interesting.

Rambling Woods said...

I showed this to my husband..needless to say he was much more quick on the uptake. He says it's due to all the crosswords he does.

Anonymous said...

Bewitching.

Lee said...

Well I liked the book. And I like your photograph. Wonder how I'd like a live performance. :)

Cheers!

Maddy said...

I thought we had the clinch on witches!

Jeff B said...

Wait...did you say you had the cap on your lens? I didn't think that ever happened.

Celebration of Life said...

This would be an interesting production to watch, maybe even spellbinding.

Viola Jaynes said...

It looks like you have a really nice and fun blog here. Super! Thanks for visiting today.

A.Bananna said...

My mother wants to see this! she is nuts about the book! have a great weeek!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Spellbound! That's a hoot.

Cath said...

Fabulous colours there. Great contrast well framed.

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

David

Your captures are fantastics!
Hope to see you in TODAY'S FLOWERS!

Santilli

Leslie: said...

I've always wanted to play the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz! Wonder what this story is about.

Sandi McBride said...

It sets my skin aquiver! I've waited to see this play for two years and no movie rendition will do, it must be the play...hopefully it'll be back in Charlotte in the Winter...I'll be going! Love this shot...I'd have been spellbound, too
Sandi

Diva's Thoughts said...

I saw this on Broadway last year fro my birthday and had the best time ever! That play is phenominal.

Kat said...

Oooo! How fun!

Robin said...

I've seen this musical and it is fantastic, I highly recommend it.

ps - Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Merisi said...

Rather bewitching. *hehe*
As Shakespeare would have put it,
talking for a fellow who put his cap back on too soon:

" See how I am bewitched; behold,
mine arm Is like a
blasted sapling withered up.


I think he cast you in the right light, already, back then! :-)))

cheshire wife said...

The witches seem to have you under their spell.

becky aka theRAV said...

Cute post. Love the marquee. I would have taken the shot also.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: That is my daughters favorite play. She has seen it three times, once the NYC.

Charles Gramlich said...

Didn't know this was going to be a musical.