Thursday, March 08, 2007

Put Your Blog On The Reader Radar

Tips For Blogging Success (Part One)

Relax, this advice won't make your head spin like Voldemort.

As a novelist, photographer and career journalist, one of the most common questions that I get asked by bloggers is ``how do I increase traffic to my blog?'' Since I started mentoring a group of bloggers from various places around the world, I have answered many variations on this query. I have responded to emails, to comments on my own blog and to public-forum queries at Google Blogger Help and maybe this is the time to address the issues, one at a time, on my own blog.
Everyone wants to increase their readership. Newspaper editors want to. Magazine editors want to. Bestselling autors want to. So it's only natural that bloggers want to. Bloggers are the pioneers of a new media form. Whether your blog gets five hits a day or 125 hits a day, you always want to know how to increase that number and widen your reach.
Straight up, let me tell you there is no ``Excalibur Factor'' when it comes to increasing traffic to a blog. No one is King Arthur here, and there is no all-conquering sword to wrench from a rock. Nothing comes easy. Increasing circulation or market share in any field is the lodestone to which everyone aspires.
Is there a golden rule to increasing traffic? Yes - and it is breathtakingly simple. You must post well and you must post often. Why? Because readers will only come back to a site if they are a) assured of quality and b) aware that you post something every day. You can't post twice a week and expect to get a huge number of hits. (But, hey, if you do post twice a week and you get 1000 hits, let the blogging community know!)
So it's going to need focus. You don't need to write `War and Peace' every day. You can write short posts, long posts, witty posts, pithy posts, thought-provoking posts or emotion-evoking posts - but the bottom line is that people will only read your blog if it's a quality product. Do you enjoy writing blogposts? If the answer to that is ``yes'', chances are that readers will enjoy reading them. If you find that it's a chore, then you readers will sense that very quickly.
If you have a good editorial package and you update it regularly, then you're on the right track. Soon enough, the Domino Effect will take place. Readers start coming back every day. And words starts to spread among the internet community that your blog is a decent product. Ergo, readership starts to increase.
Not everyone is a Bill Bryson or a Wilbur Smith. But if you write honestly and from the heart, you will win an audience. Ask any newspaper editor and he or she will tell you how hard it is to increase readership without resorting to gimmicks. Different medium, same message.
Bloggers don't win any easy points when it comes to maintaining an upward readership graph. Finding the right mix to attract readers is a lot like playing roulette. The numbers can come up when you least expect success. A subject that you are passionate about might not hold the interest of readers - and vice versa. Readership growth happens slowly, in most cases. Be patient. Don't get discouraged. You won't be the first blogger to wonder why people are taking so long to recognise the quality of your work. And believe me, you won't be the last, either.
Blogging isn't a sprint. You, as a blogger, are committed to the long haul, whether you realise it or not. Be honest with yourself and choose your subjects carefully. If you are verbose, pedantic or unnecessarily long-winded, readers will swiftly choose to visit other blogs instead.
One other thing, too. You can ping as many update services as you want, but readers are extremely discerning. They will only come back to a site if it promises them quality. That's the best advice I can give you. Take care of the basics and the rest follows. Give 'em a knock-their-socks-off blog of daily quality that they can't ignore - and they'll beat a path to your door.
I hope all of that makes sense. If you have any queries, you can contact me here. You will always get honest, straightforward feedback - and I will always give you constructive advice on how to improve.
Good luck and happy blogging.

15 comments:

Jenera said...

Thanks David for the tips. I will keep checking in for more!

I have a question, well two. Is it possible to 'sticky' a blog post at the top of your blog? Second, are you able to have two blogs linked together?

Thanks!
Jenera

Anonymous said...

Good advice, David, and well taken. I am going to be trying to get at least something up every day on my Blog.

And thank you for the time you take to encourage all us budding bloggers out here!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jen,

Glad it was of use to you. By ``sticky'', do you mean having one post permanently at the top of your blog, so that the latest updates simply stack themselves underneath?

In reply to your second query, I've never had a second blog but I can't see why you couldn't link one to the other. It depends on what the exact nature of that link is, I guess.

Let me know ....

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Allan,

Always good to hear from you. I'm glad the post was useful to you. I guess what I'm trying to do is build a team approach among those who seek a little guidance.

There is so much to be learnt from the experiences of others.

Say hello to Tammy for me.

David

Jenera said...

I'd like to have a particular post always be the first, yes. Obviously now every post is in order of the time posted. I'd like one to be permanent but I don't want to add it to the side bar.

Thanks,
Jenera

Jenera said...

Ignore my question on the sticky post-I found the answer in the Help Group. I didn't know you could add a text box over on the post column. So I tried that out and it worked so now I'm good to go.

Thanks David!
Jenera

Bikas Mishra said...

very useful advice David as always, i can see posting everyday really helps. looking forward to part two.

Bikas
www.DearCinema.com

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jen,

Good to know you've found the answer.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bikas,

Nice to hear from you. I'm really glad that the advice made an impression. It's not that I have more knowledge than anyone else, but it's nice to be able to share it.

Happy blogging

David

steve said...

Hi thanks for some of the tips I am still learning day by day and as soon as i think I am starting to learn something or somebody like you makes me realise how for I still have to go

steve

PS how can you get nominated for blog of the week

steve

david mcmahon said...

G'day Steve,

Nice to hear from you. Getting started is the hardest part, it just gets easier from then on. You're well past the rocky road.

Never despair at how much we still have to learn; just take pride in how much you've achieved so far.

And mate, that's what the blogging community spirt is all about - sharing knowledge. What we know, we'll gladly share with you an anyone else.

Nominate your blog simply by leaving a comment with the url on my blog, at
http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/2007/02/aussiejournos-weekly-blog-awards.html but remember nominations close every Friday at midday GMT.

Good luck and thanks for dropping by. Contact me here if there's anything I can do to help.

Cheers

David

Finn Haverkamp said...

Hello David,
Thanks much for visiting my site. I appreciate the advice. This post in particular is helpful too. One basic thingsI've been wondering is if should I have the post break option turned on (where posts longer than 250 continue on a separate page)? Another thing I'm having trouble with is my balance of personal opinion with more of an unbiased, less opiniated approach. I don't want readers to feel I am the end-all be-all knowledge behind these things, because im definitely not, and, I want to encourage readers to think about game design on their own. However, I also dont want to have a dry straight-facts report on design. This also leads me to motivating readers to post comments. How shoudl I go about getting my readers to comment on things, to build more of a community?

Thanks in advance,
-Finn Haverkamp (Gryffin)

Catmoves said...

G'day, mate. David thank you for running my site. And thank you for all these great tips. Without a doubt you are one of the great people on the www. I have seen many helpful web sites for other things, and you definitely have a labour of love on your hands.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Finn,

The post break option is a very handy tool to use, but in your case I don't think I would use it.

I've never done a serious survey on reading and mouse-click options of people who read blogs, but I think fewer people would be inclined to click to a fresh page. I think they would prefer to read the blogpost in one hit.

That said, there is also a positive side for the post break option but your site lends itself to not using it.

Editorially, there is no problem with voicing your own opinion. You are not promoting yourself as The Supreme Authority, you are simply giving your opinion - and it is crucial that this opinion is unbiased and unswayed by commercial inducements.

As far as comments are concerned, you'll find that as you get more hits, you'll get more comments and that in turn starts a new flow of reader comments, sparked by discussion threads or debates. It's all part of the Domino Effect, and it does happen slowly but surely as you build credibility.

I think you have a great site. Stay in touch and if there's anything I can help you with, buzz me here.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Catmoves,

All part of the service! I'm glad to be able to help. As you know, you'll always get sincere, honest advice here - based on plenty of experience during my career in many forms of media.

I do like your sentence ``Without a doubt you are one of the great people on the www.'' but can I VERY humbly say there are many, many great people on the www and it's just a question of building awareness that some of us are willing to help others.

You can always rely on me for advice and you can always buzz me here for feedback on your site.

Cheers and stay in touch

David