Monday, March 12, 2007

It's A Wing-Wing Situation

I Guess It Just Dawned On Me

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

My project a couple of days ago was to try and shoot a seagull at dawn, against the backdrop of a Melbourne landmark. Not so easy. You try working out which way a seagull is going to fly! I had about six to eight attempts and came up with nothing tangible. Either the gull would fly too low, or too high, or it would wheel around, or it would not fly in the vicinity of the dawn colours. I was just about to pack up when I spotted this gull. He was about 70 metres away, so I unwound the 18-125 lens, tried to guess where he was going, tracked the camera in front of him and fired off this shot - just as he flew into the frame. On the right is the Rialto, which was until recently Melbourne's tallest building, easily identifiable by its blue glass exterior.

6 comments:

savannah said...

found via Deb's site...and i'm glad i did! helpful information re blogging and great pics. thank you

david mcmahon said...

Hi Savannah (and Deb),

Thanks for dropping by and taking the trouble to comment. I'm glad you liked the blog. Will also be posting some more hints for bloggers.

Cheers

David

Jenera said...

That is a beautiful shot! I wish I was better with the camera, lol. I'm lucky if I can get a good shot of Aidan.

Jenera

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jen,

Glad you liked the shot. Thanks for the comment.

I know what you mean - been there, done that. My kids are my life and I was guess I learnt the basics of photography while they were growing up. So you're on the right track.

Cheers

David

Doug said...

Wonderful photo David.
Peaceful but powerful.
As others have said
your blog advice and
tutorials are very
helpful.
My best to you,
Doug

david mcmahon said...

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the comment. Yes, you summed up the gull's flight perfectly: ``peaceful but powerful''. Nice one.

I'm so glad the advice is helpful. You can always contact me here if you need any specific information.

Cheers and keep in touch

David