Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Dam Busters

If You're Beaver, Does That Mean I'm Butthead?

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Sometimes, even when you're miles away from home, do you find yourself thinking in "blog mode"? When I have a couple of cameras slung around my neck I'm in photography mode, but I sometimes find myself thinking "Yup, that'd make a great shot for Camera Critters".

So when I arrived in Beaver Creek in the Yukon, I dropped my bags off in my room at the Westmark Hotel and immediately started scouting around. It was late evening and the light was fading, so when I saw this beaver sign I knew I didn't have enough light to make the shot work.

Instead, I was up at the crack of dawn the next morning. There was not much movement and pretty much no sound either, as I began shooting the mountains in the pink light of early morning. I even got a shot of the contrails of a jet, like white gossamer against a clear blue sky - with the jet so high that it was completely soundless.

But before I stopped shooting and headed indoors for breakfast, I had to get this beaver shot. Lucky I remembered - or it would have been a dam shame!

Check out the rules at
Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

18 comments:

Millennium Housewife said...

Yup, Blog Brain is an inevitable affliction of the serious blogger I'm afraid. It's reached anorak status when you begin to carry a Blog Notebook. Oh dear....

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: My I must say, that was seriouly funny title to your work. It was top class.

Anonymous said...

They are such industrious creatures - sometimes damaging, but industrious none-the-less!

Gone Back South said...

Funny looking fella ain't he?

Leslie: said...

Only good spellers will "get" your last line! I get it! lol

All day so far I've been in my village with ideas for my blog. We're celebrating "Rivermania" so keep an eye out for intstallments (or is it instalments?) of all the fun we had today. Soon I'll be back out to the evening market.

Cath said...

Your puns crack me up! And I am so glad I am not the only one who looks at things through blogger eyes now!
Great critter. Dam good.

Sandi McBride said...

You're always working, aren't you David? That brain never gets a rest. I imagine you in overdrive much of the time!
Sandi

i beati said...

hahahah fun read I can just see you with your myriad of cameras..sandy

Carletta said...

Very cute post for Camera Critters - "it would have been a dam shame" - priceless!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I agree, my mind is working differently since blogging. Shots are getting bagged with certain nemes in mind. Ceative image and puntastic of course.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Camera Critters just *will* show up when you least expect them -- and you are always ready!

Dar's Foto Faze said...

Nah, you take such great photos to be a Butthead. Wish I could remember their laugh. Love the beaver though.

ratmammy said...

hardy har har!!! too many puns for me hehe!!!

Maggie May said...

That just about sums up my luck with taking photos of creatures! However, a wooden one is better than none!

Anonymous said...

I find myself wonderingif the carving was mad by another beaver... just a thought.

Tootie said...

Funny you mention thinking of Camera Critters when you are out and about. I find myself doing that these days too.

Rhea said...

dam shame. lol you're puns are so witty!

Nice beaver shot.

Misty DawnS said...

bwahahahahahahaha you absolutely crack me up!