Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Planet Follywood

This Is How To Get Your Kicks

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


You're not thinking photography. You're thinking lunch. Serious lunch. You've been in photography mode for a week and now hunger mode has suddenly taken over your life. You get out of the car in Whitehorse, capital of the Yukon - and this sight smacks you right between the eyes.

I'm thousands of miles from home, but this is enough to stop me in my tracks. The mid-afternoon light is strong, the sky is cloudless and although the shadows are not as long as they would be a couple of hours later, they are still prominent enough to catch my attention.

So what else caught my eye? The combination of colours. The strong parallel lines of the wood. The white shutters. The snaking wire on the right. The ornate coach lamp. The baskets of petunias. The no-parking sign.

It was more than just the advertising hoarding for the Frantic Follies, splendid though that may be. I had to get as much into the frame as possible, without losing perspective.

And after all that I still had to try and remind myself that I was in Canada, so I had to look on the "wrong" side of the street for oncoming traffic!

16 comments:

Hilary said...

That's a lot of goodness in one frame. And no splat! Well done. :)

Sandi McBride said...

Long as that 1.2 million satisfied customers have all headed home now and not laying in wait for your arrival...but you do have your camera, so that might make a great photo...that lot all stuffed into one room, lol...I'm telling you, next trip, come down South...there's so much to see, so little time!
Sandi

Leslie: said...

You won't believe it, but Klondike Kate and her follies are coming to my little village on Saturday! It's the 200th anniversary of the Ladner brothers arriving in the area and settling. So it's a big festival here called "Rivermania" and I'm heading down to take as many photos as possible - weather permitting. :D

Millennium Housewife said...

Beautifully framed David, it looks almost like a face. MH

Charles Gramlich said...

I love the old timey feel to this.

Saz said...

OOOOhhh Lala!!!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

What man will do for some grub, or a good shot...

Cath said...

Hmm yes I was just noticing all that stuff, thinking "Strange, David doesn't usually do something like half a shutter!" then realising that if you had brought the whole shutter into the frame you would lose the petunias on the left, and the hoarding would then be off centre...
(I think I would have ended up taking four of five shots moving this way and that!)

D'you know, they WILL drive on the wrong side of the road! Crazy mad Canadians. Too near to them Amurikans as they say it.

Anonymous said...

Get your kicks ... on Route 66! ;)

Lee said...

Yes, that is a lot of stuff. I like the tall vertical lines of the dancer and the buckets of flowers too. Did you get to see this review? That might have been a lot of fun.

Cheers!
Lee

katherine. said...

usually I am eating and I see something to photograph. You are in photography mode for a week before the eating gig takes over....

sheesh

raf said...

Enjoy it all,David! Thanks for all the photo tips, humor and interesting travel tales along the way.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: Great story and photo, that wrong side driving is tough but didn't ever think about the walking. You always look both ways, right.

Tess Kincaid said...

Neat sign...great shot, David! And thanks for your kind words over at my place today! ;^)

aims said...

Drats - I missed the no-parking sign until you pointed it out.

What are you talking about - the wrong side of the street? :0)

Louise said...

Cool picture; I would have wanted to see the revue! And it was NOT the "wrong" side of the road!